[pure-silver] Re: Shoulder and highlight

  • From: Bob Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:11:04 -0600

On 12/31/04 3:39 PM, "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bob, are you using sensitometry to determine the shoulder of the Tri-X or
> are you interpreting that it has a shoulder based on a print? If the latter,
> are you seeing the differences between Arcos and Tri-X on the same paper?

I'm using both methods. I ran a family of curves on a ton of film/developer
combinations for use on my film recorder. I've only recently begun to use
that information on film I expose in camera. When you are making look up
tables for electronic output, shoulder effects are compensated for in the
math that creates the table. Not so in camera. And there is a huge
difference between Acros and TriX not only on paper, but also when scanning.

>I'm not sure you can totally compensate starving due to dilution merely by
>using larger volumes of developer. In my 4x5 protocol, I doubled the volume
>of Rodinal 1:50 in the tube to compensate for starving (of FP4 especially)
>and it didn't get me much closer to the predicted density--I mean it was WAY
>off.  This was most obvious on the N+2 and N+3 protocols. I had no such
>problems after I switched to D76 1:1. I like Rodinal, so I may go back and
>try it at 1:25.

I soup roll film in stainless tanks with reels. I usually only have 3 reels
but fill the tank to the top. It's interesting that doubling the amount of
developer doesn't end the starvation. I like how hard edged and crisp the
grain seems at 1:3. What will the change look like at 1:1?

Bob Randall