[pure-silver] Re: Rodinal

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:28:04 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "richard lahrson" <gtripspud@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:48 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Rodinal

Hi,
I just mixed up a liter of Rodinal type developer from Photograper's
Formulary (Paraminophenol Fil Developer) which has
been dropped from their catalog.  The kit uses Potassium
Hydroxide and requires some care in keeping the temperature under 60 F when adding the water to dilute, it becomes hot.
Probably why it was dropped.
The mixing went smooth but I miss picking a bottle of Rodinal off the shelf. Anchell's Film Developer Cookbook uses Sodium
Hydroxide instead, so I'll use that next time.
I put it in two pint bottles. Is there any advantage in refrigerating one of them? Rodinal keeps rather well, and I used distilled, boiled
water.

Rich

Agfa may have used several hydroxides in Rodinal but I think the postassium salt will dissolve in greater quantity than the sodium salt. AGFA had copious amounts of potassium available as a by-product of something else they made so they used a lot of potassium salts in their products. The heat of solution of the sodium salt is just as high as the potassium salt.