[pure-silver] Re: Problems with KRST????

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 05:32:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

    KBT = Kodak Brown Toner. KBT is a polysulfide toner similar to Kodak T-8
and to "new" Viradon. It is a concentrated solution of Liver of Sulphur. KBT
has the advantage that it tones all densities uniformly (no split toning) so it
useful for image protection where minimum change in color or density is
desired. A version of this type of toner is currently recommended by the Image
Permanence Institute for use on microfilm instead of diluted KRST. IPI
published its own formula to avoid the problem encountered with KRST which
evidently changed somehow during its manufacturing lifetime. However KBT works
fine for this. KBT is a direct toner like KRST, that is the print or film is
immersed in it with no previous bleaching step. It is recommended that a 10%
solution of sodium sulfite be used immediately following toning to stop the
toning process and to clear any yellow stain. I've found that normal working
solution of Kodak wash aid works fine even though its only about 2% sulfite.
Polysulfide toners have the peculiar property of toning faster as they become
exhausted or more diluted so, unless the sulfite bath is used, the toned prints
or film will continue toning in the wash bath until a substantial amount of the
toner is removed. If not washed out quickly enough the toner can leave a peach
colored stain. I have not found this to be a problem in practice. Like any
toner KBT will work better for some papers than for others. Like KRST it will
protect the image of any paper or film even when it makes little difference in
image color but if one desires a color change the performance must be
determined by experiment.
     As a general rule (but with exceptions) toners are more effective on warm
tone paper than cold. This is partly due to the grain size but can be affected
by other things such as the balance of chloride and bromide in the paper.
Toners are also affected by the developer so one must try the combination to
find out how it looks.