[pure-silver] Re: Problems with KRST????

  • From: "J Stewart" <jrstewart8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:24:36 -0400

Might try fresh fixer as well.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I've gotten lazy / cheap / forgetful in the
past and overused my fixer until I've seen similar results on the print
edges after KRST toning. Even with washing the print between fixing and
toning. My bad. To emphasize how ugly the result can be, I found that I
could rub off the stain (which was really a precipitate I guess) after the
print dried. You can't wash out the stuff that creeps in from the paper
edges, though. It seems to be water insoluble or it would have washed off.

You also can create sludge in the toning bath if the fixer is old.. But this
effect is more like precipitation than fudge(but what's the difference
really??).

In case it matters, I use TF4 fixer (alkaline process).

I also have used KRST years and years after purchase, and it's never failed
me (when I use fresh fixer :) )

JStewart