[pure-silver] Re: Problems with KRST????

  • From: john stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:23:58 +1000

I have resolved to label everything after I made a similar, though slightly less dramatic mistake. It's easy to think "I'll remember what I put in that bottle," but if your next trip to the darkroom is a little later than you expected, the memory can be a bit dim.

I lashed out and bought some Schott laboratory bottles with plastic screw caps in various sizes. They have a matt white panel on them and you can write on them with a soft ordinary pencil. You can use a standard eraser to remove it. Problem solved forever! They are a bit expensive but should last me a lifetime (what's left of it, anyway).

John
======================

Bogdan Karasek wrote:
Hello all,

I finally found why my KRST was turning into liquid fudge. .... my stupidity.

This morning, I decided, new double fixing bath... fresh KRST... I reach for my container of hypo to measure out the amount and then to mix it and I found myself reaching for the gallon of acetic acid 28%. Then it hit me. I had been using diluted acetic acid as a FIXER instead of hypo. Talk about a major mistake. I can rest easy, no big mystery as to why my KRST was turning brown despite the washing. There was still acid in the paper and it hadn't been fixed properly.

So Now I am heating up my distilled water and getting ready to mix my hypo for my fixer.

Mystery solved.

Anyway, I'd like to thank everybody who contributed. You have been very generous with your time and expertise and I thank you for it.

Lesson to be learnt; next there time there is a problem, check for human error/stupidity/inattention and whatever else.

Now back to work!

Cheers,
bogdan

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've run into some unexpected problems toning with KRST. ... I diluted the selenium 1:9 in distilled water as is my habit. By the time I had the second sheet of Kentmere in the toner, the toner started turning brown and by the fifth sheet, the toner looked like liquid fudge

This sounds very odd. I have had very small amounts of a black flaky precipitate form in the bottle but nothing like you describe.

I did have something like this happen once - though it
wasn't with KRST. I had added alcohol and ammonia to a jug of distilled water to make window cleaner. Then, of course, forget what was in the jug and used it as distilled water for making up chemistry. I couldn't
figure out what was going wrong ...

Could you be using spent fixer instead of distilled
water? The silver in the old fix will go a deep red-brown color by the action of the KRST.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121