[pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking film

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:06:29 -0400

Re: [pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking filmWhen I first starting doing C-41 (color neg) processing, I had problems with uneven developement. Afterall, the developer time is only 3.5 minutes, and I agree with Richard K. that short developer times should be avoided. Someone suggested to me to do a pre-soak. Once I started doing that, the problem went away. I found that a minimum 2 minute pre-soak was all that was needed; any longer time had no real effect.

I don't use pre-soak for B&W. I use HC110 for B&W film.

My agitation method is either a drum roller for large (32ounce+) tank or the manual twist-and-turn for a small (16oz) tank

Ken Hart
From: harry kalish

I have had good even development using a two minute presoak, both for roll and sheet film, agitating constantly in three different ways to eliminate circulation patterns. But I don't think I have ever developed film for less than six minutes.

Harry

On 4/29/10 6:38 PM, "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've only noticed pre-soaking doing some damage when done for an insufficient length of time. If the emulsion is not thoroughly pre-soaked, subsequent development may not be even. I noticed this with pre-soak times of less than 1-3 minutes, and hence, I recommend a minimum pre-soak time of 5 minutes to be on the save side.