[pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking film

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:30:40 +0200

Dear Richard and John etc.

thats what the guys at Ilford told us.

Richard: I did not speak for Kodak, sorry, this was Ilford at the time
(1981 i.e. nearly 30 years ago, gosh, I _am_ getting on a bit :-)) and
later (late Nineties) I heard the same from the film folks at AGFA...and
recently (2009) from another member of the AGFA Photo Club.

Also: I meant b/w film! Colour is again different of course! But The
initial discussion was about b/w ? I did mention that I also pre-soak
colour?

I distinctly remember old FP4 and HP5 35mm films being VERY thick, they
had a really "spongy" feel to them when they were wet. B/W Films have
gotten LOTS LOTS thinner since then. They feel very different to the
point of me somtimes wondering if there is any emulsion on them at all...

Richard: in no way did I intend to slander Kodaks quality! I am sorry if
you took it that way. I admit freely that I know sweet FA about Kodals
manufacturing but more about Ilford (see above) and even more of AGFA
(because we hadf a lot of contact to the film testing guys from via our
Photo Club).

I recall the times when Kodak "professional" film came with a slip of
paper in the box which would tstate the correct "measured" sensitivity
in DIN/ASA as opposed to the blurb on the outside box.

But I would expect larger format films to have a thicker base layer ?
From your and Johns posting it sounds like:

Sheet film is thickest, then 35mm and 120 is thinnest ?
Should 120 not be thicker than 35mm to ensure it lies flat in the camera?

I am puzzled...

Love,
Snoopy

Richard Knoppow wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Snoopy" <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Ceterum censeo, digitalem esse delendam"