[pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:25:08 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:09 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking film

On 4/29/2010 5:05 PM, harry kalish wrote:
Quite awhile ago, Ilford stopped recommending a pre-soak because they started building a wetting agent into their film. But it gave me confidence to continue the pre-soak, with the ritualistic tapping of the daylight film tanks on a firm surface to dislodge air bubbles from the
surface of the film.

Harry

With this sort of thing, it's probably better to be consistent than to constantly look for the "right" way. I started presoaking years ago because I believed (rightly or wrongly) it would improve consistency, particularly with short dev times - say with a fast acting developer like D-76 straight and N-3 processing. At this point, all my calibration is built around it and I don't much feel like changing my ways and recalibrating everything because of new fashion.

Jobo recommended pre-soaking for their rotary processors, it's necessary with them to insure uniform development. Kodak also recommends pre-soaking where several sheets of film are to be developed in a tray, it prevents sticking and, again, insures uniformity. However, it probably makes little difference in other kinds of processing. I doubt if it does any harm but the induction time _is_ affected and must be taken into account when determining the final development time. There may be some wetting agents in some films which will be washed out in a pre-soak. I've never seen any confirmation of this in any literature.
    It is good practice to apply rapid agitation at first.
I don't consider D-76 rapid acting. Compare its times to some older developers like DK-50 or D-61, the later a once standard photofinishing developer.