[pure-silver] Re: PSE CONFIRM KRST

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:41:04 -0700 (PDT)

Just FYI re:fixer acidity; I recently tested my kodak
rapid fixer print bath #2 w/NO hardner added, and it
has a pH of 5.

Whether this is due to carry over from stop bath or is
it's nature I'm not sure as it was a slightly used
bath.
Eric

--- Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------
At 03:53 PM 8/31/2007 , you wrote:

I, too, have always gone from 2nd fix directlyto KRST.
Don't see why not too, as KRST contains thiosulfate.
Works fine,with no staining after 20 years.
---Harry.

September 1, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

I'm another, and I read it in Ansel Adams. I can't
cite a page andvolume, but anyway.

However, I think there is a significant caveat. If the
paper is coveredin acidic solution, bright yellow
stains may occur when the seleniumtoner contacts it.
Adams suggests using a non-acid fixer (I believe
heuses the term plain fixer, by which he means the
formula in the appendixof The Print, consisting of
water, sodium thiosulfate and sodium sulfite)as the
second fix in a two-bath fixing setup. The label of
KRST indeedshows it contains thiosulfate, so a bit
more clinging to a sheet of paperwon't cause staining.
It's the acid that causes stains.

If one wishes to use an acid fix for both baths, a
soak in plain waterbefore KRST would be very helpful.
Maybe several changes of water;experiment. A soak in
washaid of some sort, or a plain two per centsolution
of sodium sulfite would be good, too.

I have found that selenium toner (I use KRST) becomes
very dark and murkyover time due to a dark brown or
black precipitate forming as the toneris used. I store
my toner working solution, because I like to use
itfairly concentrated (diluted 1+5). It's expensive
stuff, so I've foundhow I can best make it last.

The key is to eliminate any acid that could find its
way into the KRST. Ifound that as long as I used acid
in any way, stop bath and/or fix, anytype of acid
acetic or citric, it could never be washed out
thoroughlyenough to prevent the murky precipitate.
However, when I switched to awater stop and non-acid
fixer, the murk ceased. I filter my KRST throughcoffee
filters fairly often, and it stays water clear for
years andyears. I just retired my former one after six
years.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.