[pure-silver] Re: PMK and MCS

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:55:57 -0400 (EDT)

From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: PMK and MCS
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:36:33 +0100

> Unfounded....?

Yes, I referred to a specific book that people mentioned.

I've done testing myself and I know the advantages of neutral/alkaline
fixer, but I have to say that arguments presented in popular darkroom
book(s) is not something I can agree.

> In addition with alkali fixers, you can go straight from fixer to
> selenium toning without issue. I noticed Selenium toner takes a nose
> dive and precipitates grey sludge after acid based fixing, unless
> extensive washing of the fixed print is undertaken first.

I know that can be done if the fixer is relatively fresh, but I
wouldn't recommend that sequence for practical purposes, as different
kinds of stain may result when fixer is nearing exhaustion. A brief
rinse in water (15-30 sec in running water) is often enough to remove
this risk. (In case of some fiber papers and polysulfide toners, 2-5
min wash may be necessary to avoid highlight staining.)

> I was playing with prescysol and was trying to maximise the stain by
> using alkali stop baths, fixers and developers, but experienced
> chalky deposits on the film (I believe EDTA is the magic ingredient
> that dispels this, RS and RK will know for certain).

I don't think there is a practical alkali stop bath. Bill Troop
described to me stop baths that contained benzotriazoles, etc., but
treating unfixed prints in such solution will make the material very
difficult to fix thoroughly. If you use bromide solution, development
may be halted in that bath, but the risk of dichroic fog may not be
removed. Like I said in my previous post, as long as excess developer
is well removed from the film, there is no need to completely arrest
development before fixation.