[pure-silver] Re: 10m long 35mm tank wanted

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:36:50 +0200

Quoting Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>    I wonder if there are still Morse machines available on
> eBay?  These were made for processing 16 and 35 mm motion

The Morse 16mm machines were horrible.

The best choices are, in my opinion, the Jobo and Lomo system.

They are like an old fashioned center loading pre-inversion reel, just
significantly larger. Agitation is, as was common pre-Neofin, by "twiddle".

The Jobo and LOMO are quite similar. Both large blank bakelite tanks.
The Lomo is, I think, better than the Jobo but the Jobo had a nice winder
and the system was built around multiple tanks for developer, fixer and
wash and so was better suited to volume processing of surveillance film in
the field (why I think most of them went from Ann Arbor to Langley).

The LOMO tanks are reasonably priced and still quite popular among the 8mm
set. They can handle 8mm, 16mm and 35mm film. The UPB-1 will do 2x15m of 16
or 8mm film or 15m of 35. There are larger models that can handle 30meters
in one piece.

I own a LOMO UPB-1B.

Its not that the Morse is a bad design--- the rewind-and-spool agitation
design was THE standard among aerographic field processing----  but the
Jobo/LOMO tanks show how processing 16mm (my interest) can be done without
great efforts. In larger gauages and/or shorter lengths I think the G3 reel
agitation might have once make sense. Agfa made a daylight tank in the late
1950s to early 1960s called the Rondix 35 that did even away with the need
for a reel.

If I needed to do 70mm polyester films I'd just wrap them on rollers and use a
smallish deep tank (of the kind for 8x10" sheet). It may use a lot of chemistry
(6 liters or more) so its not for one-shot but...

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):
   Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
   Federal Republic of Germany