[pure-silver] Re: 10m long 35mm tank wanted

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:50:13 +0800

Dear Tom,

Long film in 35mm....can't be too different from my encounter with The Film From Hell.

I used to have several 70mm backs for my Hasselblad, and jolly useful they were too. This was in the days when you could get 70mm film straight from B&H and the local lab could run it through their roller processor and dinosaurs roamed the earth. I saw an advertisement for Plus X film in 70mm perforated for something like a 100metre roll. Good price. I had a Linhof loading machine and lots of cassettes so I thought I could load my own.

So I could, and it reeled off the spool into the cassettes very well and through the camera smartly. But when I tried to reel it off onto a Hewes SS reel for procesing I discovered that this ex-aero mylar based film had a life and mind of its own. In the dark, all by touch, nothing worked. Nothing. After a half hour I reeled it back onto the cassette and went out looking for three plastic buckets. Dev, Stop and Fix. Back in the dark I unceremoniously tipped the whole of the film in a giant tangle into the Dev and sloshed it at intervals. Then the other two solutions. Then a wash and so forth.

My plan was to develop it regardless of scratched emulsion and ruined negatives and then pile it onto the driveway and jump on it - more as mental relief than art - but I was surprised how little damage I had done to the film by this treatment. Most negs were quite printable.

I have since learned that this method of processing was quite common for aerial survey work in the Northwest.

   Cost? 3 x 80 cent plastic buckets.

   Uncle Dick

PS: Plan ahead. Where are you goung to hang this sprocketed anaconda to let it dry?