[pure-silver] Re: New b&w film - Rollei R3

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:11:06 +0200

Quoting Per Öhström <ohstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Maybe this is old news to many of you, but I was so happy when I read about=
> =20
> the new b&w film from Maco/Rollei, the Rollei R3, that I have to share with=
> =20
> the list.

AGAIN.. Maco R3 is not really a new film in the sense that one tends to
think of new.. but really yet another attempt at selling traffic film. If
one wants traffic film.. great for the extended red sensitivity and the
very wide exposure range possible.. its cheap (since sold in very very
large quantities in a competitive market) and the best--- and market
leader--- is probably Kodak's HawkEye.. a film that indeed can be exploited
for pictorial applications to great results.

> In these days, when Ilford is troubled and Agfa stops manufacturing 120=20

AGAIN.. Agfa does not stop making films. That's MILLIONS of EUROs wrong!

> film, it is so good to see that some are interested in developing new=20
> products for the b&w film market.

I fear, more like, "some that are interested" in hyping the market with
promises they can't deliver, trying to make a fast buck and ultimately
working (despite perhaps intent) to sabatoge things to help drive that nail
deeper into the current crisis.. If the whirlwinds of fractured information
about R3 are not enough, there is the drive to import China's Lucky film..
This is, of course, the same Maco/Cachet that provided loads of fun around
the "Oriental Paper" brand a few years ago... so as in Fiddler on the Roof...
There is, it seems, tradition..

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):
   Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
   Federal Republic of Germany