[pure-silver] Microphen and possible formulas

  • From: Michael Briggs <MichaelBriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:29:04 -0600 (CST)

On 11-Feb-2005 Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
>>    Microphen is a packaged version of Ilford ID-68
>
> As far as I know they are different developers.
> Microphen is said to be same as an unnumbered Ilfored formula
> developed for repenished deep tank use.

Some have guessed ID-68 to essentially be Microphen, and others have guessed
the Ilford Replenishing Developer.    Perhaps both guesses are just as
accurate, the formulas have strong similarities.   The best test would be to
mix all three and develop some film.

                   ID-68        IRD
sodium sulfite     85 g        100 g
hydroquinone        5 g          5 g
borax               7 g          3 g
boric acid          2 g          3.5 g
phenidone           0.13 g       0.2 g
potasium bromide    1 g          1 g
water to make       1 liter      1 liter
target pH           ?           8.95

The formula for Ilford Replenishing Developer is from page 112 of The Film
Developing Cookbook.  Also given are two replenishers for this developer, one
for topping up and the other for a bleed system.

--Michael