[pure-silver] Re: Microphen and possible formulas

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:57:57 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Microphen and possible formulas
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:01:51 -0800

> >> As far as I know they are different developers.  Microphen is
> >> said to be same as an unnumbered Ilfored formula developed for
> >> repenished deep tank use.

I asked Bill Troop if he has any more info on this. He said that
Dignan and others assumed that Ilford Replenishing Developer was
Microphen, and there is not a lot to add to this. He knows of no
formula published for Microphen.

Based on the comparison of the formulae, I think ID-68 is less likely
to be Microphen, or more different from Microphen, but that doesn't
mean IRD is Microphen.

>    I think it would be useful to test all three developers
> but my guess is that there probably isn't a whole lot of
> difference.

I think there is no use to even mention which is what formula type of
stuff.  End users should test what they use on their own and if
something works that is it.

> I think the pH in all of these is too low for Hydroquinone to be
> active as a developing agent as is the case with D-76.

This is not true. Hydroquinone is active in this kind of superadditive
developers. Same in D-76.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."