[pure-silver] Re: Microphen and possible formulas

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:01:51 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Briggs" <MichaelBriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 8:29 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Microphen and possible formulas

> On 11-Feb-2005 Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
>>>    Microphen is a packaged version of Ilford ID-68
>>
>> As far as I know they are different developers.
>> Microphen is said to be same as an unnumbered Ilfored
>> formula
>> developed for repenished deep tank use.
>>

> Some have guessed ID-68 to essentially be Microphen, and
> others have guessed
> the Ilford Replenishing Developer.    Perhaps both guesses
> are just as
> accurate, the formulas have strong similarities.   The
> best test would be to
> mix all three and develop some film.
>
>                   ID-68        IRD
> sodium sulfite     85 g        100 g
> hydroquinone        5 g          5 g
> borax               7 g          3 g
> boric acid          2 g          3.5 g
> phenidone           0.13 g       0.2 g
> potasium bromide    1 g          1 g
> water to make       1 liter      1 liter
> target pH           ?           8.95
>
> The formula for Ilford Replenishing Developer is from page
> 112 of The Film
> Developing Cookbook.  Also given are two replenishers for
> this developer, one
> for topping up and the other for a bleed system.
>
> --Michael

   There is a replenisher formula for ID-68. More modern
developers, like Xtol and T-Max RS are both developer and
replenisher. For continuous machine use there is often a
developer starter or developer conditioner as used for color
developers. This is to insure consistent results from the
start.
   FWIW, here is the formula for ID-68 replenisher.

Ilford ID-68R
Water, at 125F or 52C                        750.0 ml
Sodium Sulfite, dessicated                    85.0 grams
Hydroquinone                                   8.0 grams
Borax                                          7.0 grams
Phenidone                                      0.22 grams
Water to make                                  1.0 liter

   Ilford's instructions are to add this to the tank to
maintain the level. This is a crude way of replenishing that
does not insure consistency.

   I think it would be useful to test all three developers
but my guess is that there probably isn't a whole lot of
difference. IRD has much more Phenidone but is buffered to a
lower pH (ID-68 has more Borax and less boric acid). I think
the pH in all of these is too low for Hydroquinone to be
active as a developing agent as is the case with D-76.

---