[pure-silver] Hypo Eliminator

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:29:44 -0600

About a decade ago, just when I started doing my own printing, I read
/The Permanence and Care of Color Photographs: Traditional and Digital
Color Prints, Color Negatives, Slides, and Motion Pictures /by Henry
Wilhelm and Carol Brower. In it, they recommended that one tone FB
prints in selenium, wash, use hypo eliminator (not wash aid!), wash, and
dry the print.  Their reasoning was that while a small amount of hypo
left in a print protects it from pollutants, toning does so to a greater
degree, getting the right amount of residual hypo can be hit and miss,
and the use of hypo eliminator saves a significant amount of water. I
used that process for a number of  years, and I haven't had any trouble,
but of course it's way to soon to tell. A while ago, I stopped doing
this. Instead I went to using a stronger selenium (KRST 1 + 9 parts
water) for 5 minutes at 70F, followed by a wash aid. Just recently
(thanks Ralph!) I started doing the following: Wash Ilford MG FB paper
after fixing for 30 minutes. Tone  in KRST 1 + 19 water for 4 mintues.
Wash for 5 minutes. Tone in Kodak Brown Toner 1 + 31 parts water for 4
minutes. Soak in a 20% sodium sulfite solution for 5 minutes. Wash for
45 minutes to 1 hour. I like the way this treatment makes the prints
look. Nonetheless, I have two questions:

Question 1: would hypo eliminator counteract the tendancy of KBT to
stain prints? (If not, the next question is pre-empted.)
Question 2: Is there any reason to not use hypo eliminator to minimise
wet time? Last night I was up to 4 am finishing processing prints, and
I'd appreciate any way to cut down the processing time.

Thanks,
Peter De Smidt
www.desmidt.net