[pure-silver] Re: Hypo Eliminator

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:41:19 -0500 (EST)

From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Hypo Eliminator
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:29:44 -0600

> Question 1: would hypo eliminator counteract the tendancy of KBT to
> stain prints? (If not, the next question is pre-empted.)

I doubt it. (As long as KBT is fresh, it seems to stain only specific
papers but I don't know how to prevent it.)

> Question 2: Is there any reason to not use hypo eliminator to
> minimise wet time? Last night I was up to 4 am finishing processing
> prints, and I'd appreciate any way to cut down the processing time.

Hypo eliminator is discouraged because it oxidizes some image forming
silver to a form that is more susceptible to fading. The harm from
this after toning should be very small, as long as toning protection
is adequate. But the susceptible form is invisible so you won't know.
Chloroacetate is said to react with thiosulfate without oxidizing
silver but I haven't looked further.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."