[pure-silver] Re: Hypo Eliminator

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:47:56 -0600

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

>Hypo eliminator is discouraged because it oxidizes some image forming
>silver to a form that is more susceptible to fading. The harm from
>this after toning should be very small, as long as toning protection
>is adequate. But the susceptible form is invisible so you won't know.
>Chloroacetate is said to react with thiosulfate without oxidizing
>silver but I haven't looked further.

Thanks Ryuji, I didn't know about the potential oxidation problem.
Regarding hypoclearing forumla, would a 20% solution of sodium sulfite
be effective? Is there anything else that should be added? I've tried to
follow the recent thread, but I didn't come across an actual
recommendation.

-Peter De Smidt
www.desmidt.net