[pure-silver] Re: Hubert Grooteclaes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:50:05 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eddy Willems" <eddy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:24 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Hubert Grooteclaes

Hubert had an old portret enlarger lens, wide open it was soft like you
see in his pictures,
at the end of his life he was printing his old negatieves again but this
time very sharp
and yes he worked with color pencils on his prints
best regards

I am on my dial-up right now so looking at the images is really not possible. However, FWIW, soft focus lenses and diffusers tend to spread out bright areas of the image. When used on a camera they diffuse the highlights mostly, spreading them out. The exact effect depends on the mechanism of diffusion, i.e. whether from uncorrected spherical aberration or straight diffusion from some object in front of the lens. When used on an enlarger, and enlarging from negatives, the effect on the print is the reverse: the lens is still diffusing the bright areas but these are now the shadows so the effect in the print is to spread out or blur the shadows. While this kind of diffusion has been used to good effect it is quite different from the effect on a camera or when making a reversal enlargement. I find it mostly leads to rather murky images where the effect on highlights leads to a glowing quality. Without seeing the photos I have no idea of what Grootclaes was doing but it should be fairly obvious. OTOH, if he was able to make sharp print later than the diffusion or whatever it was, had to be on the enlarger. There are a great many materials which can be used for diffusion, those with simple geometrical patterns, like cheesecloth or window screen, tend to have a directional diffraction pattern (typically star- or cross-shaped) where a soft focus lens does not.