[pure-silver] Re: IR FILTERS

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:44:50 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:20 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] IR FILTERS

DEAR LIST,

I recall a recent conversation about IR film and black skies. A few years ago someone also asked me to find the filters I used for IR. I
finally uncovered them.  They are:

1) Harrison and Harrison RD-10 (a.k.a. 88A) through which you can see a tiny bit of daylight. The directions say, "I.R. filter absorbs visual below
710 mu).

2) Kodak Wratten 87C gel filter. Even if I look out as the sun lit tropical sky it is OPAQUE! To see the transmission spectrum of the 87C click http://www.beyondvisible.com/BV3-filter.html and scroll down past the
UV filters to the IR filters.

CHEERS!

           BOB

It would be interesting to use the 87C as a transmission filter, its output would probably make things fluoresce.