[pure-silver] Re: IR FILTERS

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:20:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Feb 19, 2011, at 05:44 PM, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:20 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] IR FILTERS

> DEAR LIST,
>
> I recall a recent conversation about IR film
> and black skies. A
> few years ago someone also asked me to find the filters I
> used for IR. I
> finally uncovered them. They are:
>

> 1) Harrison and Harrison RD-10 (a.k.a. 88A) through
> which you can see a
> tiny bit of daylight. The directions say, "I.R. filter
> absorbs visual below
> 710 mu).
>
> 2) Kodak Wratten 87C gel filter. Even if I look out as
> the sun lit
> tropical sky it is OPAQUE! To see the transmission
> spectrum of the 87C
> click http://www.beyondvisible.com/BV3-filter.html and
> scroll down past the
> UV filters to the IR filters.
>

> CHEERS!
>
> BOB

It would be interesting to use the 87C as a transmission
filter, its output would probably make things fluoresce.

Richard, While there does appear to be some UV transmission in the curves shown for the 87C, its pretty far down, and the very jagged nature of the curves would make me suspect instrumental noise rather than anything real.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe