[pure-silver] Re: Fishy developer: NOW Triethanolamine

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:44:03 -0500

I wasn't suggesting that there would be a buffer between the TEA and the glycol
but rather that by having less TEA the pH of the solution would be less.

My version of the formula is that I dissolve the Phenidone and the ascorbic acid
in 100 ml of hot propylene glycol.  I allow the solution to cool and add 100 ml
of TEA.  This prevents the solution from becoming so brown which I take to
indicate that there is less decomposition of either the Phenidone or the
ascorbic acid then if they had been added to hot TEA.  I then use twice the
amount as would be required if there was only TEA.  The solution is far less
viscous and easier to measure.

It appears that Pat Gainer has updated his formula to contain 0.2 g of potassium
bromide per 100 ml of concentrate.  This small amount reduces fog experienced
with some films such as 400Tmax.

Hydroquinone is readily soluble in both TEA and propylene glycol.