[pure-silver] Re: Fishy developer: NOW Triethanolamine

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:21:01 -0500 (EST)

From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Fishy developer: NOW Triethanolamine
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:41:37 -0500

> Anyway, from what I understand from Pat's writings, the quantity
> of Vitamin C in PC-TEA is far more than is needed for developing.

The rate of development in superadditive developers is often limited
by the rate of electron transfer from the developing agent (ascorbate)
to the electron transfer agent (phenidone), unless it is limited by
the cathode process. (Cathode process tends to become more limiting in
the later part of development, especially in tabular grain crystals.)
So the concentration of ascorbate is a major factor even if it is "far
more than is needed" and I would adjust the ascorbate concentration
and the pH separately.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."