[pure-silver] Re: Embarking on a somewhat new adventure

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure-Silver Free" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:22:10 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <davestarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 2:59 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Embarking on a somewhat new
adventure

I did a quick test today. I shot 4 sheets around the house
in the rooms with the brightest lighting. Developed them
this afternoon, & a quick look at the wet negatives shows I
can't handhold a 4x5 at 1/5 second. Like I already didn't
know that.
I'll try again over the weekend on a tripod. It'll be a good
way to test the rangefinder for adjustment. I want to try it
too with the Nikkor lens & do a comparison as well. All in
all. a good way to spend winter days.

   See the Graflex site, there is a relatively later
version of the Speed Graphic manual there, I think, which
shows a couple of ways to hold the camera so that its
relatively steady. In cameras without the body release the
use of a flashgun with solenoid will allow holding the
camera with the bed supported by the left palm and held
against the face. This is surprizingly steady.
   Also check your library for editions of _Graphic-Graflex
Photography_ many editions over about two decades. Lots of
good information about press camera useage in it. While
aimed at Graflex cameras most of it also applies to the
Busch and B&J press cameras.
   I am off to work now so Happy New Year everyone!!!