[pure-silver] Re: Embarking on a somewhat new adventure

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:59:56 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chauncey Walden" <clwaldeniii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 12:05 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Embarking on a somewhat new adventure

On 12/31/2010 6:42 AM, davestarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Richard. The lens is a 135mm F4.7 Wollensack Raptar in a Rapax shutter. After I posted yesterday, I discovered the shutter speed can't be set faster than 1/200 - the ring just stops turning. I do have a 135mm Nikkor-W I can use temporarily. The range
finder's a Kalart, the camera serial number is D-112254.

I had a Busch Pressman D for many years and the only thing that eventually pried it from my hands was a Linhof Technika. I built the lensboards for it from two layers of hobby shop sheet aluminum epoxied together. Its original lens was a 135mm Culminar which was very satisfactory. Its final kit included a 90mm Angulon, a 150mm Symmar-S and a 210mm Geronon, all of which with the camera fit in a very small bag.
Chauncey

Curious about the Rapax, they are good shutters and not hard to work on. I don't remember if is has a booster spring for the highest speed but think it does, I have one I can open and look at. If so the spring may have jammed. The Rapax AKA Graphex, was designed to have a constant "trigger pull" so that it could be tripped by a synchronizer solenoid without booster batteries at the highest speed. Kodak and Compur shutters have a significantly harder pull at their highest speeds and often a synchronizer solenoid will not trip them. Even when the internal contacts of a synch shutter are used for flash the solenoid can be a convenient way of remotely tripping the shutter rather than having to reach around the camera. I am sorry to say that the Raptar lenses made for press cameras and most of the Enlarging Raptar lenses have a serious design problem. Wollensak was capable of making very good lenses but somehow missed the boat badly on these. The symptom is that the corners never quite get sharp even when the lens is stopped down all the way. The fault seems to be consistent on all of the Tessary type Raptar lenses and the Graflex Optar lenses made by Wollensak (later Optars were made by other companies and are decent lenses). The fault does not extend to the Optar lenses made by Wollensak for the Graflex SLR cameras or to the Tele-Raptar and Tele-Optar telephoto lenses, which are very good. I don't remember off hand what the Nikor-W is but its likely a much better lens than the Raptar. The Kalart should be adjusted for the particular lens being used. When set up right they are very accurate. I wrote a long piece on adjusting them which is on the Graflex site at http://www.graflex.org. I need to re-write it because I think it is not clear in some places. If you have questions send them to me and I will do my best with them. This camera is late enough to have the later Kalart on it. Earlier ones suffer from mirrors which have faded silvering. The mirror can be replaced, its not difficult, but I don't know if the material is still available. Beware of an article about fixing the mirror, also on the Graflex site from a retired camera repair person, I've forgotten his name, but the guy was a butcher. He also recommended drilling holes in lens retaining rings to get them off. That's not nessary if you know how to make the friction wrenches that are the correct tool for the job. The problem with the Technika, beside the fact that I can't afford one, is weight and the natural leather they used for bellows and covering material tends to rot. Synthetics are much better. I think Busch used synehetic material for bellows, Graflex did after around 1940 and Graflex bellows seldom need replacement.
   You have a very good camera.
BTW, in an emergency I've made lens boards for Graphics and view cameras out of corrugated cardboard by using two sheets with the grain at a 90 degree angle and cementing them. I put black tape around the edge to prevent light leaks. Works surprizingly well. Corrugated cardboard is surprizingly strong, there was a place here that sold furniture made of it!

Los Angeles
WB6KBL