[pure-silver] Re: Digital imaging is a sign of the times

  • From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:00:51 -0500

The thing I think I've noticed with regard to selling prints is that the market
for that is basically people with taste and money.  The prints have to be very
good, and I can almost always pick out the ones that will sell.  It's a hard
thing to put a finger on, but they will just look great in someone's hallway,
or have an interesting twist, or be really classic.  I guess I'm saying that
there is a market, but it's not very big right now.
     It's interesting what you're saying about the parallels between the advent
of color film and the change to digital.  It's absolutely true that color film
did not get rid of us did it?  And photography didn't cleanse the world of
those annoying drawists and painters like it was supposed to either.  I suspect
we'll all still be here doing our thing 50 years from now.

> From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/01/20 Fri AM 10:48:04 EST
> To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Digital imaging is a sign of the times
>
> At 12:42 PM 1/19/2006 , Gene wrote:
>
> ... and shoot film because I love it.  I'll continue to hang the results on
> the walls and if someone wants to buy the occasional print, so much the
> better. There's enough of us out here that someone is going to sell us film
> and paper for a very long time to come. Heck, you can still buy POP if you
> really want to.Maybe I'll live long enough for traditional photography to
> be a "fad", and I'll be an interesting novelty:)
>

> January 20, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,
>
> This has already happened more than once.
>
> I well remember the ascendancy of color pictures when I was first starting
> out, in the sixties. I was in a small minority that liked black and white.
> The advent of the color print as the common snap caused a lot of people to
> sniff at black and white in a very superior way. Eventually this diminished
> and black and white became a very high profile and admired art form,
> complete with high priced examples trading regularly. So I expect that
> eventually (decades from now, I suppose) black and white fiber based prints
> from the darkroom will have a similar sort of special-ness compared to the
> commonly available ink- or pigment-dot print. Cycles and fads ...
>
> The boy scientist element of darkroom work is much greater than in the
> computer based method. There are always some people who like to be Mr.
> Wizard, and they will always like to fool around with powders and liquids
> and scales and gloves and face shields. If these elements are taken away, I
> lose interest completely. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I'd guess the
> materials will survive in some form, probably much more expensive ...
>
> I don't expect to ever be appreciated for the effort and hours that go into
> a print. It's rare for an aartist to receive this appreciation, especially
> during his or her lifetime. So we shouldn't expect it. Not to say it isn't
> deplorable. I see it as part of the dumbing-down phenomenon. Educated
> people are necessary for artists to exist. Humans seem to shun education.
> Since that is very convenient for people who seek power, the situation is
> encouraged by most societies or civilizations, not just ours. The Romans
> and their circuses and all that.
>
> regards,
> --le
> Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.