[pure-silver] Re: Digital imaging is a sign of the times

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:48:04 -0500

At 12:42 PM 1/19/2006 , Gene wrote:

... and shoot film because I love it.  I'll continue to hang the results on
the walls and if someone wants to buy the occasional print, so much the
better. There's enough of us out here that someone is going to sell us film
and paper for a very long time to come. Heck, you can still buy POP if you
really want to.Maybe I'll live long enough for traditional photography to
be a "fad", and I'll be an interesting novelty:)

January 20, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

This has already happened more than once.

I well remember the ascendancy of color pictures when I was first starting
out, in the sixties. I was in a small minority that liked black and white.
The advent of the color print as the common snap caused a lot of people to
sniff at black and white in a very superior way. Eventually this diminished
and black and white became a very high profile and admired art form,
complete with high priced examples trading regularly. So I expect that
eventually (decades from now, I suppose) black and white fiber based prints
from the darkroom will have a similar sort of special-ness compared to the
commonly available ink- or pigment-dot print. Cycles and fads ...

The boy scientist element of darkroom work is much greater than in the
computer based method. There are always some people who like to be Mr.
Wizard, and they will always like to fool around with powders and liquids
and scales and gloves and face shields. If these elements are taken away, I
lose interest completely. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I'd guess the
materials will survive in some form, probably much more expensive ...

I don't expect to ever be appreciated for the effort and hours that go into
a print. It's rare for an aartist to receive this appreciation, especially
during his or her lifetime. So we shouldn't expect it. Not to say it isn't
deplorable. I see it as part of the dumbing-down phenomenon. Educated
people are necessary for artists to exist. Humans seem to shun education.
Since that is very convenient for people who seek power, the situation is
encouraged by most societies or civilizations, not just ours. The Romans
and their circuses and all that.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.