[pure-silver] Re: Developing a film pack of Ansco Superpan Press film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:05:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin magid" <martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Pure Silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 10:10 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Developing a film pack of Ansco Superpan Press film

Bogdan's discovery of his Royal Pan film came at about the same time that I was given a lot of old photo goods, icluding a 4X5 Premo film pack holder loaded with Ansco Superpan Press film. All 12 tabs of the pack are still sticking out, ready to use. I do have a Premo C 4 X 5 camera, and I would like to use the film in that camera. But I would also like to use some of it in my Graflex Speed Graphic, which has an accurate shutter and probably a
better lens than the Premo C.  So I have these questions:

1. I don't know the age of this film, but I suspect everything I was given was kept in boxes for years, at best in a basement, but possibly in a garage in northern Michigan and upstate NY with wide fluctuations in weather. What would be a reasonable guess for the operating ISO of the Superpan Press
film, and the best developers to use in a tray?

2. I have never used pack film before. When I get it to the darkroom, will the negatives separate easily from the pack? I use 4 X 5 film hangers to develop 4 X5 in trays, with the hanger tabs bent up so I can agitate by
moving the tabs around.

Thanks for any help on this.

Marty

Superpan Press is about ISO-200 but I would shoot it at around EI-100 because its probably fogged badly. Development is around 10 minutes @68F in D-76 full strength. Pack film consists of sheets of film on a thin support similar to roll film. Each sheet is fastened to a paper leader. When the pack is fresh All the sheets are packed on top of a spring loaded plate that pushes them toward the front. The paper leaders are brought around a roller to the back where they stick out of the casing. When a film is exposed the paper leader is pulled which pulls the film in back of the plate, the end of the leader is then torn off. When the pack is exposed its opened in the darkroom and the films are removed from the back. The remaining paper can be peeled off similarly to the way the paper backing of roll film is peeled off. Because the film is very thin it does not stay well in conventional developing hangers. Special hangers were made for pack film but it can be developed satisfactorily in a tray. Again, because of the thinness its harder to manipulate in a tray and I suggest developing only two or three sheets at a time. With some care individual exposed sheets can be removed from the film pack case without disturbing the un-exposed films. Its been so long since I've done this I don't remember exactly how. Film pack adaptors are extremely simple being basically a box which fits into the camera. Film packs were very popular for use in plate back cameras and came in plate sizes. The simple adaptor made it possible to get many exposures without having to carry a lot of holders plus the film was easier to store and handle than glass plates. Film packs were used to some extent for press work because of the possibility of making a lot of exposures quickly but the thinner film was difficult to handle in the rush conditions often characteristic of press work. Also, the difficulty of removing films from partially used packs, or else wasting part of the pack, kept them from being very popular for press work. Ansco made more than one film with the name Superpan, including Superpan in rolls and sheets, Superpan Press, and Superpan Portrait. I have have film data sheets burried away somewhere. My guess is that the film will be badly fogged, but you can never tell without trying. Also, some Ansco film has problems with "vinegar syndrome" the decomposition of "safety" base films. Old Defender films seem to be the worse for this and Kodak the best but many old films have the problem. Kodak claimed they stopped making film packs because the last worker who knew how to assemble them retired. Well, someone could have been trained so I think the real reason was that they just were not selling enough to justify continuing them.