[pure-silver] Deteriorating movie film

  • From: john stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:19:41 +1000

I have just retrieved from storage a large box of 16mm movie film from the 1950s. Some is Kodachrome taken by my father, and some are black and white commercial copies from the US of various types of entertainment, such as cartoons, Charlie Chaplin, travelogues etc.

The box smells strongly of acetic acid, which I understand is the result of some breakdown of the films. Can anyone tell me if the two types of film are equally likely to deteriorate, or would there be a difference between the Kodachrome and the black and white commercial films? The colour of the Kodachrome looks very good.

John Stockdale