[pure-silver] Re: Depth of Field (35mm vs. 4x5 or 8x10)

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:14:17 +0200

Michael

I'm not sure that I understand your question completely, but I will try to
offer some advise anyway. Maybe, I get you closer to a solution.

First, one needs to remember that perspective is not modified by using
different focal lengths. It is purely modified by viewpoint and subject to
camera distance. If you use the same lens with your 4x5, you'll get the same
image, but you won't fill the frame, and you've gained nothing. If you use a
longer focal length, you'll fill the frame better, but you loose DoF and
have to make up for it with a smaller aperture. Here is how I would approach
the issue.

1. Duplicate 35mm viewpoint and distance with the 4x5 camera.
2. Use any 4x5 lens that will fill the frame, or get as close as you can.
3. How far to close the aperture will depend on the 35mm vs 4x5 focal length
ratio you are using.

For every doubling of focal length, stop down by 2 stops to get the same
DoF.

If a 100mm lens filled the 35mm frame, then you need a 400mm lens to fill
the 4x5 frame. You will have to stop this 400mm lens down by 4 stops to get
the same DoF. If you are forced to use a 210mm lens with your 4x5 camera,
you are not filling the frame. You will fill a frame closer to a 6x6 or 6x7
camera. This will force you to enlarge the image twice as much as you would
have to do with the 4x5, but you will have to stop down by only 2 stops.

You will get the same perspective and the same DoF this way!

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht