[pure-silver] Re: Depth of Field (35mm vs. 4x5 or 8x10)

  • From: Gregory W.Blank <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:36:20 -0400

On Oct 29, 2004, at 2:52 AM, Michael Healy wrote:

> I'm wondering whether someone might be able to confirm or elaborate
> upon a couple
> questions I've been kicking around, regarding depth of field and lens
> length.
>
> About a year ago, I shot a 35mm image of a piece for my my partner's
> portfolio. This was
> cast glass, of several boat-like objects, each about 8-9" long, which
> she attached to a
> sheet of glass about 1 foot wide by 1.5 feet deep. I shot this piece
> on a sheet of black
> velvet, on 35mm film, using a 100mm lens. Depth of field was hairy,
> but I managed to
> get enough of it. The piece fills the frame very tightly. It is very
> dramatic and disturbing,
> and it has sufficient depth of field. One of the better images I've
> shot for an artist's
> portfolio.
>
> Some months later, I finally was able to purchase a 210mm lens for my
> 4x5 camera. I
> wanted very badly to replicate this image for my own portfolio. So I
> tried to reshoot it on
> 4x5. It was a disaster. I spent several days replicating the shot, but
> I could NOT, for the
> life of me, achieve the depth of field I'd gotten on 35mm. After doing
> some research, I
> think I realized a couple things. The main problem seems to be that to
> achieve the same
> DofF in 4x5 as in 35mm, assuming a 4x5 lens that is equivalent to the
> one used in
> 35mm, one must station the 4x5 at the same distance from the object as
> was used in
> 35mm. IE, when I chose a 210mm lens (4s5) to replace the 100mm lens
> (135), I was
> wrong to move the 4x5 closer to equivalently fill the frame. I was
> wrong to conclude that
> this would produce the same result. Rather, the same result will be
> achieved by
> maintaining the same camera-to-subject distance. Of course this means
> that the object
> will appear no larger or smaller on the 4x5 image as it did on the
> 35mm image. As soon
> as one moves the camera closer (to fill the frame), one starts losing
> DofF. Those of you
> who have worked with 4x5, can you confirm this one way or the other?

Realistically what your seeing is a result of the difference in format
dimension. If you want
to duplicate the thirty five mm look you need to first print out a scan
from the thirty five
slide at the maximum size that will go into the 4"x5" box. Then
position the camera where
that image area corresponds. The fact the 35mm framing will not
duplicate the crop
factor within the 4x5 will always be an issue, at best you can mask the
4x5 Trans down
to give a similar look. Black Tape or some other method (custom cut mat
?).

  My thought  and the easier approach would be to dupe or have it
duped//from  "the 35mm"
onto  4x5 duping material then mask the resulting image.

If you have to do the 4x5 routine. Stop down the lens and use Poloroid
to confirm the DOF matches
what you want. I find it unlikely  that with a 4x5 and it's adjustable
movements you can't replicate
the 35mm DOF.