[pure-silver] Re: Confusing Terms

  • From: "Samuel D. Stauffer" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:18:51 -0500

Ralph, I find your definitions of mount, mat, and backing boards to be
confusing.
A mount board is the board on which one might mount or attach a work of
art (in our case that would be a photograph). That attachment can be
done by dry mounting with heat and a dry mount tissue, by using
overlapping corners, or some other kind of  adhesive. When done the
mount board is underneath or behind the work of art and gives the work
of art stability.

A mat board is a board that is placed in front of, or on top of, the
work of art to separate the work of art from the glass or plexiglas used
in a frame. In order to see the work of art through the mat board, one
must cut a window hole. Thus these boards are sometimes called window
mats or overmats. Mats are sometimes used by people even though they are
not framing the work of art, just to prevent the artwork from being
abraded by another mount board in a stack.

Backing board is the material used to fill up a frame behind the mount
board. Its purpose is to take up space in a frame so that the work of
art and its mount board do not move around within the frame.

The confusion for many people is that the board that is used for all
three of these functions can be the same board. Some manufacturers of
this type of board refer to it as mount board, others call it mat board,
and still others refer to it as museum board. If one is looking for a
lasting presentation (archival), then one must use a good quality board.
This board can be purchased cut to size or in large sheets which one
must then cut. Two popular types of board used by photographers in the
U.S. are Westminster Museum board and Rising Museum board

I believe if you use these terms as I have described them, you will
avoid confusing your readers.

Sam Stauffer
Flint, Michigan