[pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:05:27 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:32 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

DEAR MARK,
Surely you jest! (I know, don't call you Shirley!). All seriousness aside, I miss Kodachrome all the time. It was my standard 35 mm film for fashion and advertising during my 20 years in NYC. And I shot lots for personal work as well. I think I went through 3 or 4 300 roll cases per year (900 to 1200 rolls). Though I loved E6 in my 'Blad, Kodachrome was
king for 35 mm.
                 CHEERS!
                        BOB

I also miss Kodachrome. Unfortunately, I think its doom was written as soon as Kodak devised an incorporated coupler film. There is a resonably good history of Kodachrome at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome It points out that Kodak had tried two experimental color films prior to Kodachrome, a lenticular film and a two color film using dyed gelatin, neither was very successful. From other sources, George Eastman was evidently interested in devising a color film very early on. He hired C.E.K.Mees, and incidently bought Wratten and Wainwright to get him, because Mees was considered an expert on the use of dyes to color sensitize emulsions. Mees brought with him John Capstaff, who eventually invented one of the early color films and also the use of 16mm motion pictures for home movies. Eastman later hired Mannes and Godowsky who had done promising work on color films. Kodak must have been aware of Rudolof Fischer's work on incorporated color couplers but does not seem to have been successful in creating a practical film using them. By about 1934 AGFA was ready to market such a film and I think Kodak felt a lot of pressure to get something on the market. Kodachrome differs from the Fischer type film in that there are no couplers in the emulsions. Rather the couplers are in the reversal developing solutions. The problem was isolating each layer so that only the correct color of dye was contained in it. Mannes and Godowsky had a patent on a method of controlling the penetration of processing solutions into the emulsions and it was adapted for the Kodachrome process. Actually, the controlled penetration method was used for only about a year after which time a method of differential re-exposure was devised and used ever after. The first Kodachrome was 16mm home movie film but, after the new processing method was devised, it was also released in 35mm still film and a variety of sheet film sizes. It was not available as roll film until very near its discontinuance. Because the processing method was very complex and required precision control at all steps it was carried out only in Rochester. After the differential re-exposure method was devised a couple of additonal processing stations were set up by Kodak. Once Kodak had found a patentable method of sequestering the dye couplers they began making Kodacolor which had a much less difficult process but was still developed by Kodak owned labs. Following WW-2 Kodak began to make Ektachrome and Ektacolor, intended to be processed by independant labs and immediately discontinued sheet sizes of Kodachrome. The new film was generally considered to be inferior to Kodachrome but was improved with time. Kodachrome was continued as 35mm still film and 16mm movie film. I think despite the very high quality of the results that without the pressure of competition from Agfa Kodak would probably have waited for a while before producing a color film and it would probably have been an incorporated coupler film.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL