[pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 14:36:51 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:56 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

DEAR RICHARD,
Don't forget, Kodak also had a Kodachrome processing lab in Fair Lawns, N. J. which was where they offered us pros overnight Kodachrome
processing.  I seem to recall a 5:30 pm pickup.
            HOLIDAY  CHEERS!
                           BOB

I am not sure where Kodak had its labs or where the first one outside of Rochester was. I know there was a lab in Los Angeles and one in Chicago. Of course, after the legal action forbidding Kodak from collecting processing payment with the sale of the film many independent labs were set up. AFAIK Rochester was the only lab doing sheet film but that was discontinued c.1948 when Ektachrome was introduced. The old time commercial photographers I have talked to hated Ektachrome because it was nowhere near as reliable as Kodachrome. Fairlawn is a sensible place for a lab to service N.Y.City.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL