[pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

  • From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 08:32:23 -0400

DEAR PETER,
     If color neg still has a wider dynamic range than digital color images
(raw files I assume) then at the risk of comparing gray apples and colorful
oranges, black and white neg film must tromp raw files as, even with
"normal" processing, it has a greater dynamic range and, with "N Minus" it
can greatly exceed raw files.  Further, b&w neg can record this wide SBR in
one exposure but digital requires multiple exposures and post exposure
image processing just go get a similar effect.
     But, as you said, the manufactures are working on extending the
range.  Further, from what i understand, the D600 does not produce the same
raw file as the top of the line Nikon or Canon DSLRs which, allegedly, do
produce a wider dynamic range raw.  Not as good as film yet but it is just
a matter for time.
     Then again, I don't think anything will touch the image quality I get
with my 8X10 for a while!  LOL!!!
               HOLIDAY CHEERS!
                        BOB