[pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 11:13:06 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "emanmb@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
DMARC)" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:04 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital

Ross-Ehlert Lab had a Kodachrome line in Chicago as well back in those days. I think it came about because Kodak had closed their own lab there that it became feasible. It was such tricky & expensive process that it had to be closed down after a time. I don't recall any pros' comments on the film back then other than sharpness, but it was "the thing to do" as it was new-ish, snip tests were available, and processing could be done in a reasonable amount of time. Kodachrome had always been held in higher regard than Ektachrome. Given the large quantity of common, pedestrian subjects in commercial work, ektachrome was fine for most shootings. I don't know how my chromes or B&W's are doing at this moment as I haven't gone to the storage area to look at them in over a year. Also taking them out of their protective bags will only invite problems till I have a permanent home for them. Our house has been going thru a year-long needed update and refurb so storage was the only answer. :(

Before Kodachrome was introduced in sheet sizes advertising studios used color separation cameras and generally had either three-color carbro or dye transfer prints made. These were the original art work from which the four color half-tones were made. Once Kodachrome became available the half tone plates were often made directly from the transparencies. The difference was quite noticeable in the final ink on paper prints Kodachrome being more vivid and sharper. There were two or three companies in the U.S. specializing in making beam splitter cameras and supplying the materials for three color carbro or carbon. The whole process is extremely finicky and the labs who did it generally did nothing else. Kodak supplied film to meet the requirements of the cameras. Dye transfer was available under other names for some time before Kodak bought the process and refined it. Dye transfer prints are sharper than color carbro because all images are on a single surface where a three-color carbon or carbro prints is composed of three or sometimes four layers (one a gray key) of very thin gelatin layered on the support. Carbro is a carbon print made by the chemical interaction of a conventional bromide print with the sensitized gelatin of the carbon material. It allows making enlarged or reduced prints where direct carbon is strictly a contact printing process. Black and white carbon is not too difficult but three or four color carbon or carbro is extremely fussy and difficult. The switch to Kodachrome eliminated a lot of this plus it was faster to get the transparencies processed than to get a carbon print made. Both the carbon prints and the Kodachrome were retouched directly. At one time Kodak made Kodachrome in sizes up to 11x14, a fairly common size for original advertising art in the big N.Y. studios.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL