[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:08:19 -0400

Sorry, I haven't been tracking this thread so I don't know what's been covered. I can only see today's notes......

There are many ways to dry prints. Kodak suggests putting them face down on white felt blotters. Then as they dry they curl away from the blotter. I've seen fibers get stuck and have removed them with a damp Q-tip. Don't worry after it dries again you won't see any marks. A friend dries his prints by taping them face up to glass plates. Then after they dry he cuts the tape off. He has to use over sized paper because of waste. Lately I have been hanging my fiberbase prints from clothesline using plastic clothes pins (don't use wood) and putting a few extra pins on the bottom edge for weight so the prints will dry flatter. After they are dry I flatten them under the weight of two cases of beer. Some one on this list suggested the type of beer was important. I generally use stale, heavy beer rather than fresh, highly carbonated, light beer which may improve the flatness character. The degree of staleness improving the flatness.

I snipped a response about hardening after toning from a previous note...

"The CYA answer is to harden your prints after sepia toning.  But using the
hardener left over from the Kodak Rapid Fixer kits is not  good idea unless
you have a way to increase the hardener pH to about 4 to 4.5.  The Kodak
Rapid fix is at that pH and that's why the hardener works with it.  So it is
better to use Kodak liquid hardener.   But being a cheap skate like I am and
I just hate to waste chemicals (the unused KRF hardener) I just put the
hardener in the remaining used KR fix and fix my sepia toned prints again while hardening
them at the same time.  Fixing again has the added benefit of removing any
ionic silver that may remain in the print from the bleach / redevelopment
steps of the Sepia process."  But you have to wash them again.

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>