[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 05:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

If memory serves, (not usually), my "flatbed" flip
dryer was clamped by the ferrotype plates at one side
and held via the arms that brought the canvas down and
clamped it it place over the print on the other.  The
trick would have been to remove the screws on the
sides and either wash with the arms in place or slide
them off if possible.  Removing those screws would
have pretty much disassembled the unit leaving the
heater coils floating free so working on an open table
top with lots of space might be a good idea.
Reassembling while the apron is still wet would
probably be a good idea too.  In my recent experience
with my 16x20 dryer there seemed to be a slight amount
of shrinkage BUT there's built in slack to allow a
free-hanging heavy rod to hang between other fixed
rods.  End result was that whatever shrinkage there
didn't affect the re-assembly of the dryer and apron.

In the case of a flat flip dryer, the tolerances may
be less and this shrinkage might really wreak havoc
when trying to re-assemble the thing.
Eric