[pure-silver] Re: Can Someone Refresh My Memory Please?

  • From: Bogdan <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:25:55 -0400

To throw a monkey wrench into the works.....

How does dilution contribute to the question at hand.

Dektol stock, 1+1, 1+2, even 1+3

What happens with each different dilution; with each higher dilution, there is even less developer to exhaust, so you would get decreasing contrast as the dilution increases and you get a soft print. Am I on the right track?

Bogdan

On 4/7/2011 12:13 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 4/6/2011 11:10 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Let me take a shot at this one and see IF I remember correctly. If the print is in the developer and no agitation, the solution right next to the print can become less effective as it reacts with the paper. I think of it as forming a small pocket of developer that is working its little self to exhaustion, while the rest of the pan does little to nothing. Just as if you put a drop of dye in a glass of water, it would eventually all be the same color but its not going to happen very fast.

But when you move that glass of water with a drop of dye in it, that color evens out fairly quickly. Agitating the pan keeps fresh developer in contact with the print where its needed, and all the stuff that has reacted is moved away and mixed with the rest of the pan.

Ever get high contrast with old developer? Ever use some old developer because that's all you had and needed to make a few prints? Get the same contrast as you do with fresh chemistry?

How bad did I do Richard and what did I miss??

That is the basic mechanism, but there's more to it.  I believe the
*Rate* of exhaustion is higher near either the highlights or shadows,
but I cannot recall which.