[pure-silver] Re: Can Someone Refresh My Memory Please?

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:59:08 -0400

To increase contrast, give less exposure to the print and develop the print for a longer time.

Stopping agitation will decrease contrast.

Michael A. Smith

On 4/6/11 7:50 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
When developing a print if we increase time but stop agitating, what densities will continue to develop and where will the developer
exhaust first and cease to work.

I cannot for the life of me remember which way it works: Whether the highights exhaust and the darker values continue to develop
or vice versa.

Another way to say this: If I want to *increase* contrast by making the shadows darker and "holding back" the highlights how to I do this when
developing a print?

Bonus Question: Is there are similar/complementary effect when doing this
                 to film?