[pure-silver] Re: Can Someone Refresh My Memory Please?

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:02:34 -0500

On 4/6/2011 6:59 PM, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee wrote:
To increase contrast, give less exposure to the print and develop the print for
a longer time.

Stopping agitation will decrease contrast.

Yup, I know that, but *why*.  Do the shadows stop getting darker or do the
highlights continue to develop "down" when you stop agitating?  In
one case the developer exhausts while continuing to act on the other.

Michael A. Smith

On 4/6/11 7:50 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
When developing a print if we increase time but stop agitating,
what densities will continue to develop and where will the developer
exhaust first and cease to work.

I cannot for the life of me remember which way it works: Whether
the highights exhaust and the darker values continue to develop
or vice versa.

Another way to say this: If I want to *increase* contrast by making the
shadows darker and "holding back" the highlights how to I do this when
developing a print?

Bonus Question: Is there are similar/complementary effect when doing this
to film?