[pure-silver] Re: Can Someone Refresh My Memory Please?

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 23:13:23 -0500

On 4/6/2011 11:10 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Let me take a shot at this one and see IF I remember correctly. If the print is
in the developer and no agitation, the solution right next to the print can
become less effective as it reacts with the paper. I think of it as forming a
small pocket of developer that is working its little self to exhaustion, while
the rest of the pan does little to nothing. Just as if you put a drop of dye in
a glass of water, it would eventually all be the same color but its not going
to happen very fast.

But when you move that glass of water with a drop of dye in it, that color
evens out fairly quickly. Agitating the pan keeps fresh developer in contact
with the print where its needed, and all the stuff that has reacted is moved
away and mixed with the rest of the pan.

Ever get high contrast with old developer? Ever use some old developer because
that's all you had and needed to make a few prints? Get the same contrast as
you do with fresh chemistry?

How bad did I do Richard and what did I miss??

That is the basic mechanism, but there's more to it.  I believe the
*Rate* of exhaustion is higher near either the highlights or shadows,
but I cannot recall which.