[pure-silver] Re: Beautiful Photography

  • From: elroustom@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:47:23 +0000

Wouldn't mind "allowing" colour in, as long as the thread is clearly labelled,
so if people are not interested they can easily hit the delete key...
assume there won't be much traffic on colour anyway..

It's not that hard to subscribe to both lists, and set your email software to filter the discussion into separate folders to be read and responded to separately... that's what I do. The PS list is so much more active than the Chroma list, but is that because there's fewer members, or because there's only so much less to discuss? In my very short time working with both b&w and color (soon adding digital, from professional necessity), I've found the old adage that "b&w is a medium, color is a process" to be mostly true. With color you're either on or off, there's not much time or temperature can add or subtract creatively - with b&w everything is up for manipulation, interpretation, and enjoyment. I'm not saying color is not really a medium, but that it is much more tool/process dependent, making truly developed work beyond the reach of most of our b&w darkrooms.

I finally got what I need to venture into Ilfochrome printing. Only a busy family schedule (and a mite of cowardice) has held off my first attempt. I started discussing the adventure of acquiring the chemicals on the chroma list. While I wouldn't mind transferring the discussion to this list, I wonder what's wrong with all of us having subscriptions to more than one list?

Hybrid photography should be part of the discussion here. It's an unavoidable part of photography now, and I find it enriches my darkroom work and experience, if only by contrast. It may be more appropriate as part of the Chroma list, as color hybrid work feels more "natural" - to me anyway. I know and respect that others feel differently.

I vote for keeping the lists separate, but I acknowledge that it's difficult to separate, or fully justify the separation. What makes this list wonderful is the membership - you could all discuss the merits of beeswax vs. paraffin, and it would still be worth reading... sort of : )

Elias