[pure-silver] Avoiding pinholes on lith

  • From: "J. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:16:27 -0400

I've tried everything I know to avoid pinholes on lith. I'm developing in
different developers (paper developers as well as lith developers) at fairly
concentrated levels (1+1  or full strength). I'm not using acid stop (I let
them rinse in plain water), and I'm using alkaline fix. I let the lith film sit
emulsion side up in the developer tray and am very careful when agitating the
file-- sometimes merely rocking the tray. I wash the films vertically in a
flow-thru washer. I'm using Arista Lith 4x5.
I get sometimes hundreds of very tiny specks on the densest parts of the film
(where they are most obvious). None are over the size of a pinhead. The number
of specks is highly variable, suggesting it's not due to a manufacturing
defect.. or maybe it is).

Is there something about using lith that others can share to help me solve this
problem?

Jim