[pskmail] Re: pskmail

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:03:16 +0200

Comments below...

First, APRS beacons are sent 'unproto', you don't have to be connected for that.
Same for pings and 'link' packets.

Second, the connect sequence is as follows:

Client: Connect
Server: Connect ack
Client: Status
Server: version and status: SM0RWO Pskmailserver v.0.4 L1M2>
(meaning you have 1 local mail waiting and 2 in your POP account in the
internet cloud.
Client: Status or poll
Server: Status or poll
.... etc.
Client: Command, status
Server: Status or poll
Client: Status or poll
... until
Server: Data, data...... data, status.
Client: status (or poll).

Polls are sent when the status has not been received correctly., the other stn
then repeats the status.

>       Additionally;
>
>       It seems that fldigi source README's talk about pskmail, but, only
> the PA0R provided fldigi binaries actually work with pskmail?

No, fldigi works structurally with pskmail.
fldigi-1.342 works with pskmail 0.4
fldigi-1.38.06 and higher works with pskmail 0.5.

>       In mail mode, I assume the remote service merely acts as a proxy for
> a pop account that I provide.  How is mail sent by the remote host,
> as, this would obviously require relay privileges on an internet-
> facing mailserver.

I am not sure what you mean with remote host.
The POP server at your ISP does not care who gets the mail, as long as you
authenticate.
The agent in the pskmail server does the authentication, gets your mail and
sends
it via a pskmail stream to the client. For this to work the agent needs your
data.

>       And, lastly; does anyone have problems with fldigi *not* wanting to
> save all of it's config?  Specifically for me in the interfaces
> section, I find it nearly impossible to get it to actually save my
> PTT config.  I finally resorted to editing the fldigi.def's by hand
> by doing a diff against another fldigi.def and the XML file so I
> could determine which fields required which number.
>
>       A strace on fldigi during execution wasn't overly helpful as I saw
> writes for exactly what ended up in the flatfile, but, not what I had
> necessarily chosen in the Interfaces config; Though, through my own
> hackery, that is now working.  Just wondering if anybody else had
> seen this behavior.

I never had any problems with either fldigi-1.342 of fldigi-1.38.06
as long as you do a 'save config'.
When changing from 1.342 to 1.38 you need to delete the .fldigi directory.

73,

Rein PA0R.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com