[projectaon] Re: Republications?

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:22:07 +0000

On 25/01/2010 18:32, Timothy Pederick wrote:
And here they are. I was even sensible enough to grab an SVN copy and
check that (or the test versions) for each of these!

Why do the phrases "with a keyboard" and "bludgeon to death" spring to my mind when I read this...? ;-) At least these were posted BEFORE we re-release the earlier books. Let's see how fast we can work through them.

(ne) 02fotw kaiwisdm: to the Hammerdal -> to Hammerdal

(ne) 02fotw 6: post A little -> post. A little

Fixed.

(??) 02fotw 37: West Bank Walk -> East Bank Walk [tp: Just a
possibility; you are west of the River Dorn at this stage, though not on
its banks. The street doesn't go to the river banks, either; section 323
strongly implies that it ends and becomes Lookout Street. I'm not sure
what else the street name could be referring to. A bank of the financial
kind?]

This is confusing; but I think you mean: East Bank Walk -> West Bank Walk,
right?

* * E S C A L A T E D.

(er) 02fotw 79: there is much preparation for -> there is much to
prepare for [tp: As per section 123]

Fixed.

(er) 02fotw 86: Westbank Wharf -> Eastbank Wharf [tp: This one's more
certain: the geography clearly indicates that you are on the east bank
of the River Dorn at this stage. While we're at it, should we
standardise X Bank vs. Xbank?]

* * E S C A L A T E D.

(er) 02fotw 242: they are determined to destroy you before you reach
Durenor -> [tp: Umm, you're already in Durenor... perhaps "reach
Sommerlund" or "Holmgard"? Or "they were determined"? Or simply "the
Darklords are bent on thwarting your quest", as per section 79?]

Let's change it to "the Darklords are bent on thwarting your quest". Fixed.

(ft) 02fotw 289: [tp: it's entirely possible to get here without the
Seal, e.g. 4 -> 342 -> 56 -> 143 -> 289. Perhaps a footnote, pointing
this out and recommending that you simply turn to 186 if you do not have
the Seal.]

Agreed. Added the footnote: "To preserve continuity, if you no longer possess the Seal of Hammerdal, you leave the shop immediately. Turn to Section 186."

(ne) 02fotw 298: points from Your -> points from your

Fixed.

(ft) 02fotw 298: [tp: In section 189, you both tumble down the stairs
before the combat; therefore the footnote is unnecessary.]

Uh... What? [After much searching...] Ah, the footnote in 302, you mean. Yes, it is actually unnecessary. Removed.

(er) 04tcod map.png: MAAKEN MINER -> MAAKEN MINES [tp: Also, am I the
only person that cares that Sommerlund doesn't actually "

Fixed.

(ne) 04tcod errata: Replaced ‘despatched’ with ‘dispatched’. -> Replaced
‘despatches’ with ‘dispatches’.

(ne) 04tcod errata: Replaced ‘make you’ with ‘make you’. -> Replaced
‘make you’ with ‘makes you’.

Fixed.

(er) 09tcof 24: brotherhood -> Brotherhood

(er) 09tcof 74: brotherhood -> Brotherhood

Fixed.

(ne) 19wb map: Fort Durnspa, to the northeast -> Fort Durnspa, to the
northwest [tp: Also, the bearings to Toran and Anskavern seem
inaccurate. Holmgard to Toran is more northerly than Holmgard to
Anskavern, yet the former is called "northwest" and the latter, "north
by northeast".]

Fixed.

(ft) 19wb 35: If you have ever visited the Graveyard of the Ancients ->
[tp: You may have entered the Graveyard without encountering the Crypt
Spawn mentioned in the next section (s.182). Okay, so that's a very
detailed piece of trivia to expect players to remember -- worse even
than knowing if they met Prarg at Cetza, I think -- but it may still be
worth footnoting, here or in section 182; it does no harm for the player
to be mistaken either way.]

* * E S C A L A T E D.

(ne) 19wb 61: and have attained the rank of Grand Crown -> [tp: It is
unnecessary to check your rank; you must be a Grand Crown to have
reached this section.]

Reversed previous changes.

(er) 19wb 99: reproachfully -> ruefully [tp: To me, at least,
"reproachfully" implies reproach for those to whom you're speaking, not
for yourself as is clearly meant here. Same goes for the parallel
sections 154 and 223... any others?]

(er) 19wb 178: [tp: You used Animal Mastery, not Animal Control, to get
here.]

Fixed.

(er) 21votm 150: After having heard her story and satisfied yourself ->
After you have heard her story and satisfied yourself [tp: While I get
the grammatical intent -- "...having heard ... and [having]
satisfied..." -- I find it very awkward. It reads like "satisfied"
parallels "having" and so they seem mismatched. And "After having heard"
is also troublesome; in fact I think it might even be the source of my
unease with this sentence, as "Having heard... and satisfied..." reads
much better to me.]

(ne) 21votm toc: The Central Route -> The Coastal Route [tp: likewise
for map and maplarge]

(er) 21votm 225: Nexus and curing -> Nexus and Curing

Fixed.

(ne) 27v map: dissecting -> bisecting

Fixed.

(ne) 01gstw equipmnt: Carried in -> carried in [tp: None of the others
start with a capital after the dash.]

This error has been fixed in 01gstw for some time, but I did find it present in the most recent xml of 03btng so I fixed it there instead. :-p

I haven't bothered listing the Not Errata changes on the Errata Pages of the wiki--too much effort for no real gain, IMHO. Any actual Errata have been listed there, as per usual.

Oh, and I've found some problems with the time frames the text describes
in 02fotw, but perhaps fixing that would be overstepping our mandate...

Ask Jon! :-p

Only three escalations...that's not too shabby for such a long and disparate
list of errors, I reckon!