[projectaon] Re: Republications?

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:46:45 +0800

2010/1/26 Jonathan Blake <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> >> Oh, and I've found some problems with the time frames the text describes
> >> in 02fotw, but perhaps fixing that would be overstepping our mandate...
> >
> > Ask Jon! :-p
>
> While we may not be able to fix them, we might be able to footnote
> them usefully.

Okay, here's the deal. The "it is the Xth day of your quest" lines *can* add
up just fine, *if* you count the day you wake up on board the *Green Sceptre
* as Day 1 (and the day you boarded the ship in Holmgard as Day 0). Bit of
an odd definition, but okay.

The other point where we run into problems is section 240, where it tells
you you've had "three uneventful days" at sea, and the fire breaks out on
the fourth. Since your first day was potentially very eventful, this would
seem to mean that Days 2, 3 and 4 were uneventful and the fire breaks out on
Day 5.

This doesn't add up, as you leave Ragadorn on Day 6 (section 32). Since you
either got there with the fishermen and then spent the night, or you paddled
to shore and slept out of doors, the shipwreck came at about dawn on Day 5.
But the wreck was the day after the fire, which therefore must have been Day
4.

An alternative interpretation of section 240 is that "fourth" means "fourth
day of your quest", not "one, two, three uneventful days and now this is the
fourth". This works if you take "uneventful" to mean "...up until the fire".
But I still find it rather iffy, in light of the first sentence of the
section ("*After* three uneventful days...").

A possible fix is "three uneventful days" -> "two uneventful days". Or just
footnote it.

Next issue. How on Magnamund is the Ragadorn-Port Bax coach supposed to take
seven days? It gets you to Gorn Cove in three days, even after that
accident, and you ride and walk the rest of the way in one more day.

Lastly, section 26 says that it's been 28 days since the *Green
Sceptre*sank. But given section 152, which says you're back in Port
Bax on Day 33,
and the following sections that say you've spent three days at sea before
the sea battle, it's probably Day 36 (and certainly no earlier) --
thirty-one days since the *Green Sceptre* sank.
--
Tim Pederick