Re: method saying "no return statement" when there IS one

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:59:53 -0500

I had an if...else inside a double for loop, ensuring that no slot of a 2d array was >=2. I then moved the if outside of the loops and got rid of the else completely, since I initialized the variable that would be changed if a 2 or greater was encountered to be okay. The first try was like this (pretend all braces and declarations are okay):

int ok=0; //1 is good, 0 is bad
for(i=0;i<grid.length;i++){
for(j=0;j<grid[i].length;j++){
if(grid[i][j]>=2){
ok=0;

else{
ok=1;

return ok;

Now the method that worked:
int ok=1; //1 is good, 0 is bad
for(i=0;i<grid.length;i++){
for(j=0;j<grid[i].length;j++){
if(grid[i][j]>=2){
ok=0;

return ok;

Have a great day,
Alex

From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:43:42 -0800
one

I would have to see the code to know what is going wrong.

Ken