method saying "no return statement" when there IS one

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:46:57 -0500

Hi all. Yet again I have what to many of you is no doubt a very simple question, but it is not making sense. I have a method that is checking collisions on a battleship grid. It is an integer method that returns 0 if a collision is detected and 1 if there is no problem. The compiler, however, keeps saying that I am missing a return statement when I clearly have two, one in an if statement and the second in a related else. Here is the method:

public static int checkCollisions(int[][] grid){
int i,j;
for(i=0;i<grid.length;i++){
for(j=0;j<grid[i].length;j++){
if(grid[i][j]<=2){